The OHR opened the Banja Luka Regional Office on Monday, May 6, 1996 providing a point of contact to the different official and political institutions in Republika Srpska and facilitating RS participation in civilian implementation of the Dayton Peace Agreement.
The Banja Luka office implements policies to ensure that the Dayton Peace Agreement is implemented fully in Republika Srpska. It monitors the situation in the RS, gives advice to OHR headquarters and intervenes when necessary.
Since its inception the Banja Luka office has helped the Republika Srpska to develop its government infrastructure and participate constructively in state-level institutions.
The current Head of the Regional Office of the High Representative in Banja Luka is Amb. Laszlo Markusz. He assumed his duties as Deputy High Representative in October 2022.
The previous Heads in chronological order:
- Marianne Berecz, December 2016 – October 2022
- Ulrike Hartmann, September 2013 – December 2016
- Dariusz Karol Bachura, September 2011 – September 2013
- Christopher Bennet, July 2009 – September 2011
- Ivan Busniak, August 2007 – July 2009
- Ms Clarisse Pasztory, November 2006 – August 2007
- Graham M. Day, September 2002 – August 2006
- Paul Martin, February 2002 – July 2002
- Georges Bordet, February 2001 – February 2002
- Ambassador Peter Hancock , December 1999 – January 2001
- Ambassador Miguel Arias , July 1998 – November 1999
- John Fernandez, December 1997 – July 1998
- Ms Cheryl Plumridge, July 1996 – December 1997
- Mr. Tim Clifton, May 1996 – July 1996
Banja Luka Organigram