PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF THE POSITION
The selected candidate will help generate public support and understanding for the Dayton Peace process and promote its goals, assist in the restructuring of public broadcasting and the professionalization of the media in the RS, and provide administrative support for the operations of the Public Affairs (PA) office in Banja Luka. He/she will work under the general supervision of the Head of the OHR Office in Banja Luka, the Head of the Press Office in Sarajevo and the Head of Media Development in Sarajevo, and under the direct supervision of the Head of PA in Banja Luka.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assisting the Head of PA Banja Luka in: preparing press conferences, responding to press inquiries, finding out information within the OHR or outside, establishing press lines, writing press releases, giving background briefings to media representatives and visitors to the OHR, setting up interviews with OHR staff and producing talking points.
- Assisting in developing PR strategies.
- Organizing the participation of the Head of PA Banja Luka or other OHR staff in TV and radio shows.
- Assisting with the Public Service Information Campaign (PSIC) as required.
- Organizing press coverage for the High Representative and other senior OHR staff in the RS; assisting in planning their trips and visits to the RS if they involve the press.
- Accompanying journalists on OHR-organized trips and press events.
- Maintaining contact with media representatives in the RS, as well as other international and relevant domestic organizations.
- Coordinating press and media development work with the Press Office and Media Development in Sarajevo, OHR’s regional press offices if necessary, as well as other international organizations, principally the OSCE, UNMIBH, SFOR, UNHCR and CRPC.
- Attending press conferences on behalf of the OHR as required.
- Assisting in the restructuring of RTRS and establishment of PBS and in the professionalization of the media in the RS.
- Supporting the media monitor in Banja Luka and replacing him/her in his/her absence.
- Correcting wrong media reports as necessary.
- Initiating and overseeing the translation of relevant articles for distribution to OHR staff.
- Carrying out minor translations.
- Answering telephone inquiries to PA Banja Luka, ensure all callers receive the service they require.
- Taking care of all administrative and logistical matters related to PA Banja Luka.
- Performing other duties as required by the Head of PA Banja Luka.
- University degree in journalism advantage
- Minimum of two years of work experience in a similar role required
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Ability to work in a team as well as unsupervised
- Ability to work with people from different cultural backgrounds
Any personnel with the above qualifications should provide (in English) a CV with a one-page cover letter and references to the following:
OHR Banja Luka, Njegoseva bb, 78000 Banja Luka
Fax +387 (0) 51 330 213 E-mail: email@example.com
Please quote Reference No. 413/01