Duty Station: Sarajevo
Contract Type: Consultancy (national, full-time)
PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF POSITION:
Although the work of the Office of the High Representative has transformed over time, the Department for Legal Affairs of the OHR continues to play an important role in giving legal advice to the High Representative and providing legal service for other departments of the OHR and for the Steering Board of the Peace Implementation Council on legal issues, in particular those involving the interpretation of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina (GFAP) as well as on other international and domestic law matters.
In general, the Legal Advisor will assist the Department for Legal Affairs to play a key part in the provision of specialist legal services in the areas of law that are of interest to the Office of the High Representative. The Legal Advisor will prepare analysis and recommendations on legal issues related to a number of fields of laws which will include constitutional, institutional and administrative matters. In light of the mandate of the High Representative over the civilian aspects of the GFAP, his/her function will focus primarily on issues related to the interpretation of the constitutions in BiH.
The Legal Advisor will be responsible for monitoring developments within his/her portfolio and assisting in formulating policies and/or co-ordinating activities in that particular portfolio within the OHR.
As the size of the legal department has decreased over time, carrying out the functions of the legal department requires more than ever coordination between legal advisers. As such the Legal Advisor will be required to work as part of a team and will be requested to deal with a number of different issues falling within the mandate of the High Representative.
The Legal Advisor will also maintain relations with other international agencies and local authorities in his/her field of responsibility. Other tasks will include preparing briefings reports, correspondence and updates relevant to the field of responsibility for the Head of the Legal Department.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide legal advice to the Head of Department on responses to specific developments in matters falling within his/her field of responsibility;
- Cooperate with other Legal Advisors on any cross-cutting issues related to his/her field of responsibility;
- Participate in and/or attend meetings, together with government counterparts and experts, as assigned, in his/her field of responsibility;
- Coordinate generally with international organizations on issues in his/her field of responsibility;
- Draft and review authoritative Legal Opinions pursuant to the High Representative’s final authority in theatre regarding interpretation of the Agreement on Civilian Implementation of the Peace Settlement in his/her field of responsibility;
- Research legal issues within his/her field of work, identify priorities and provide analytical support to the Head of Department;
- Prepare briefing memos, talking points, legal analysis and draft letters on behalf of OHR Principals and the Head of Department on issues within his/her field of responsibility;
- Other tasks as assigned by the Head of Department.
- Degree in Law;
- At least 5 years of relevant working experience;
- Good command of English – both spoken and written as a working language;
- Full computer literacy;
- Experience with or knowledge of other legal systems and norms;
- Sound knowledge of the BiH Constitutional and Legal system, including command of the case law of the Constitutional Courts in BiH;
- Sound knowledge of international law;
- Relevant experience in an organisation involved in the implementation of the GFAP is an asset;
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and as a part of a team;
- Ability to work under stress and considerable pressure.
Any person with the above qualifications should provide (in English) a CV with a one-page cover letter and references to the following:
Office of the High Representative
Emerika Bluma 1, 71000 Sarajevo
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Fax: +387 (0) 33 283 771
Reference number: 2014/033
Closing date for applications: 01 September 2014
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
No telephone inquiries please